Skip to main content

The History of Fairoaks Airport

Fairoaks Airport’s story began in 1931 as Fair Oaks, a grass flying strip on land originally known as Dolley’s Farm. In 1936, the Air Ministry took control, converting the site into a military airfield. During World War II, it was used for aircraft repair and pilot training, preparing over 6,000 pilots for service.

Post-War Development

After the war, Universal Flying Services managed the airfield until 1967.

A major improvement was made in 1979 when and 800-meter tarmac runway was constructed to replace the original grass strip.

Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view
Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view
Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view
Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view
Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view

Recent Ownership

After the airport was sold in 2008 the land was split between two entities leading to the current ownership structure. Fairoaks Operations Ltd, a subsidiary of Albemarle Fairoaks Airport Ltd, now holds the airport’s operating license, continuing the legacy of aviation at Fairoaks.

Fairoaks Business Centre

Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view
Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view
Fairoaks Airport Business Park arial view
Now a thriving business centre serving aviation, film, high-end automotive and general business services.